Friday, February 04, 2005


I took this photo of a spider outside our house. Posted by Hello

The interesting thing about this spider is that it only hunts at night. In the daytime there is no trace of it. Every evening about the same time, it creates a brand new spider web next to a lamp outside the house. It quickly spins a web and then sits waiting for bugs. It has very impressive speed in catching these bugs. When it has successfully caught a bug it wraps its prey in a nicely spun cocoon until it has about 3 wrapped up bugs. Then it takes its prey and leave again.... Which made me think that my life is not much different from his.

Every morning when I get to work, I take my laptop out of the drawer, connect the wires and start looking for bugs in the software we write. When no measure of sitting around helps me to find the bug, I venture out on the World Wide Web, looking for clues as to what could cause the problem. When I find the software bug, I add some code comments to prevent me from doing it again and remove the bug from the code. I love new software development, since it gives you a nice sense of accomplishment in creating something brand new every day. But also the challenge of finding some hidden away bug or one which only happens sporadically when the correct conditions are met. To this means I use debuggers (especially the WinDbg and SOS I discussed on another place on this blog) to help me spin the web around my bugs...

And then in the afternoons I pack up my things and go home again...knowing that I have some pay to carry home at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Heinrich said...

Does anybody recognise the spider?